I’m often asked the question, what is wireless DSL? I’ll attempt to answer it with this article.
Put simply, wireless DSL is an Internet connection that you make using radio signals rather than traditional wires. The high speed/bandwidth is very comparable to traditional DSL as well as cable modem Internet access. Wireless DSL is a relatively new technology, although it is very robust. This technology makes use of airwaves to connect customers. One advantage that wireless DSL has is that the Internet access is up to 8 times faster than other technologies such as the regular copper wire used by your local telephone company or the coaxial cable that your local cable provider employs.
The principle of this technology is the same that has been used by radio stations all across the country for years. A connection can originate any where in an entire state, but it can easily be heard by any one with a radio even if they’re miles away from the originating point of the signal. The same holds true of your internet access.
What are the major benefits of wireless DSL? There are three compelling reasons that make wireless DSL a great choice for internet access.
- Wireless Internet access is up to 8 times faster than conventional DSL services and up to 20 times faster than cable Internet services.
- Wireless Internet access is a point-to-point connectivity, which allows faster authentication on servers.
- Wireless Internet is a new but proven technology, which allows the user to get more services than regular DSL or cable connections.
Basic installation in general costs around $350m but will vary according to specials. This fee includes the radio, antenna, router and mounting hardware. Please keep in mind that each installation is a bit different and quotes are provided for each site prior to installation. Thus prices may vary from case to case.
When you decide to try out wireless DSL, you will have to inform the providing company about it and it will be followed by a Site Survey by the technicians of the company. The technicians will assess the situation and then offer you various options based on your Internet needs.
How can I connect to wireless DSL?
You can access your wireless DSL connection via a wireless dsl modem. Wireless DSL modems vary in price and quality, but ActionTec modems are popular and cost less than $75.
Wireless DSL providers
- PeoplePC: Since 1999 the company is providing high quality, low cost Internet access nationwide. They offer Smart Dialer technology for the best and most reliable connections. There is customer care and technical support to help you at all times.
- NetZero: NetZero offers easy-to-use, reliable Internet service with thousands of access numbers nationwide, fast connections, feature-rich email and Email on the Web, and instant messaging compatible with AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ and Yahoo.
- Verizon: This company offers unlimited high speed broadband with a 30-day money-back guarantee. MSN Premium Internet Software comes with it.
Wireless DSL is definitely an option for those seeking high-speed broadband access. It’s an affordable and effective way to access the internet. For those who have multiple wireless devices, it can be a cost-effective solution that trumps its competitors.